Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chapter 15: Parents as Partners in Twenty-First-Century Learning

This chapter was about parents of the students getting connected not just with their kids schooling, but with the school itself. I thought that they key part of this chapter was the section titled "Reach out and Touch". I really liked a couple of the ideas, and really disagreed with others. A couple of the ideas that I really liked was the Postcard idea. I think that sending home good things about the kids is more important than sending home negatives that the students have done. I also really liked that Parents in the Classroom idea. I think that opening up my classroom to the parents gives it an air of confidence and trust that every parent wants to feel when their child is concerned.
The one thing that I really disagreed with however was the Home Visits suggestion. Never in my life would I consider visiting all of my students in their homes. I feel like that is an invasion of their space as well as a vulnerability for myself in that situation. I feel like having a meeting place that isn't the school or the home would work, but I would never go to their house.

No comments:

Post a Comment